£15,000 Wendover HS2 Legal Fund Appeal Target
Legal cases: The HS2 Action Alliance (HS2AA) won the Compensation Judicial Review outright on behalf of the communities of Wendover and the other villages and towns along the HS2 route, and also got leave to appeal in the case of the environmental Judicial Review. This was a huge achievement.
Legal fund: Many people in Wendover kindly contributed to our initial legal fund but now we need to raise more funds to enable HS2AA to go to the Court of Appeal on the environmental Judicial Review. Every penny counts! We have a deadline of end of May to raise Wendover HS2’s contribution of £15,000 in support of the appeal.
Cheques: Please support our campaign with a donation – whatever you can manage – by sending a cheque, made payable to ‘Wendover HS2’ , to Antony Chapman, Treasurer, Wendover HS2, Boddington East, Hale Lane, Wendover HP22 6NQ.
What does this all mean for me?
Compensation case: HS2AA won their case that the 2011 consultation was unfair and the decision for a hardship-based scheme was unlawful. There will be a new consultation that will include the Property Bond option promoted by HS2AA.
Environmental case: What do we win if HS2AA’s appeal is successful?
• HS2 Ltd would have to go back to looking at the alternatives, e.g. other routes, doing environmental assessments on each, and then consulting on them.
• This process takes time and offers further opportunities to confront Government with the facts.
Why do we believe we have a good chance on appeal?
• The Judge granted HS2AA permission to appeal on the day – often it’s rejected – so he thought a higher court should be able to take a view on the case.
• HS2AA’s legal team advise that they stand a good chance.
• The Appeal Court may choose to get an opinion from Europe.
Please support our campaign with a donation and help protect Wendover and the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty for today’s generations and for the future.